Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Okay, so I want to color my hair pink. Not all of it, just the under layers, so the top hair will still be my natural hair color (golden brown). Any advice from those of you who have done it (or know someone who did it)? Do's and Don'ts? How to take care of colored hair, etc. Thanx!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

I have dyed my hair various unusual colors ranging from bubble gum pink, bananna yellow and fiery red to plum purple and emerald green. Throughout my haircolor-changing "journey", i have discovered that some ways of dying your hair work better than others. Here's a few tips on how to get started, how to dye, what to use and how to care for your hair:



1. Bleaching



The best way to start is to lighten your hair. Lighter colors such as pink work best on hair bleached to a very light blonde. Darker colors like black, some reds and blues can be done on natural, unbleached hair thats not too dark. The result won't be that intense, but it can still subtly highlight your hair though it won't lighten it.



[The lighter your hair the more intense the result will be.]



2. Choosing The Right Kind of Product



"Crazy colors" only come in semi-permanent dye, which means that it penetrates the hair only slightly. The color starts out intense, but fades as you wash your hair. Usualy, semi-permanent hair dyes last about 6-8 shampoos, but some can last from 25-30 shampoos. So you will probably have to re-dye your hair before the color completely fades (which won't require lightening if youre using the same or a darker color). My favorite line of products is Manic Panic classic cream formula hair dye. It can last for months depending on how often you wash your hair (most people do so about once or twice a week). The reason I favor Manic Panic, is because their products don't damage hair; they actualy moisturize it. Their products are available online, or at Sally's beauty shops.



Check out their colors here:



http://www.manicpanic.com/creamswatch.ht...



See how they look on people, and get tips for individual colors here:



http://www.manicpanic.com/best_of_best.h...



The second page can be useful even if you use another type of product.



3. Before You Get Started



Before you get started, make sure to wash your hair with shampoo, but no conditioner and towel dry it [some people have said it works better when you blow dry your hair, but i don't know whether that's true or not]. Also, wear plastic or rubber gloves, and an old shirt, because it may get stained. If possible get someone to help you with this.



4. Getting Started.



To get started you will need an old toothbrush to apply the cream to your hair. If you don't have one, thats ok too, you can apply the dye directly to your hair, although using a tintbrush or a toothbrush helps distribute the color more evenly. Begin coloring from the bottom strands at the bottom of your hair, working your way up. If you are only dying the bottom, protect the top by clipping it up, away from the part you are coloring. After you're done applying the cream color, comb your hair and keep combing it untill it becomes frothy (foamy).



5. Wait!



With Manic Panic haircolor, you only have to wait about 15 minutes for the color to sink in, but the longer you wait the better the results. About 30 minutes to an hour always works for me, but others have let it stay for 4-6 hours (might not be necessary). If you want the color to be more intense and last longer, use heat on your hair, such as from a blow dryer. Set it on low power and on hot if these settings are available. You may also place a shower cap or plastic bag on your hair if you wish.



6. Wash



This part might be a little tricky since you are dying only the bottom part of your hair. Make sure the uncolored part stays up untill you wash out the colored part (the water has to run completely clear). I suggest that you get someone to help you with this one.



If you want to make your color last longer, pour a vineger and water mix on your hair immediately after rinsing (equal parts water and vinegar) and comb thorougly. Rinse it out with warm water.



7. Enjoy



Enjoy your new pink hair! Style it as usual, but remember that hair products such as hair spray, mousse, gel , etc. promote fading.



8. Other Things You Might Need to Know (some repeats)



-Like i mentioned, hair products make your hair fade faster, so try not to use them much when possible.



-Washing hair in cold or cooler water helps keep hair from fading.



-Color will gradually fade, so it will become less intense as you wash your hair. You may need to color it again before it washes out completely.



-About people saying this is crazy, don't listen to them! Some people are boring, others are a little more adventourous. Your pink hair will deffinitely turn heads, and get your lots of positive comments, compliments and attention. Sure, I've had people stare and give me weird looks, but I think its funny, not annoying. All I can say is, go for it and good luck!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

good luck...



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

your crazy. thats my advice



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Well, I think you should go for it. Make sure you use the shampoo that is specifically designed for people with colored/dyed hair.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Don't do it. It'll look awful.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Good Luck to you i wish you the best



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

change yo avatar to pink hair so it matches but only color it if you feel like it dont let anyone stop you or push you to doin it but i dont know how to take care of it so good luck



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

am SERIOSLY GIRL DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

You should have the pink on top so it is visible. I don't think you are coloring it pink for only you to see. Get a good shampoo for color treated hair.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

My advice is that it's a dumb idea.. IMO. Why do you want to stand out so much. You will have people staring at you then you will get mad b/c they are staring at you.. and you have no reason to be mad! People are going to stare, IT'S PINK for crying out loud it's a bright color and that will stand out to people. There I've said my peace.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

unlike some of these crazy kids above, i think it will look great...i dyed my hair almost the same way, and its even better than i thought it would look. good luck!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

yeah, i got pink highlights. i thought it looked really good, different, but good. anyway, i usually washed it with cold water and used garnier fructis for colored hair. that helped keep it silky, shiny, and strong. good luck! :)



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

I did that. My advice............use the TEMPORARY pink color first !!! It's in any store like Walmart, etc. it washes out after ONE shampoo. So, experiment with exactly where you want the color. And you can see exactly how it will look when you get it permanent.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

good luck....



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

I have been wanting to do that too! Let me know how it turns out so I can do it..lol



Try dying it with the washout one first, make sure ur gonna like it! If you do then go with a permanent colour! If ya dont like it u dont have to worry about redying it, you could just wash it out!



good luck



have a good night!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

go ahead, then put a green stripe down the middle.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

I'm sure there is plenty of pink down there already.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

WELL FIRST U HAVE TO BLEACH THE PART OF YOUR HAIR THAT U WANT PINK, THEN WHEN ITS BLONDE U PUT THE PINK DYE IN BECAUSE THE PINK DYE IS SEMI-PERMANENT U WILL NEED TO KEEPIT IN FOR A MINIMUM OF 2 HRS.. THE LONGER U LEAVE IT ON THE LONGER IT WILL LAST WITHOUT FADING... WHEN U R ABOUT TO WASH IT OUT BLOW DRY UR HAIR WITH THE DYE TO SINK IT IN.. THEN QUICKLY RINSE IT OUT AND SHAMPOO EVERY OTHER DAY OR SO BUT CONDITIONER EVERYDAY.... AND VOILLA U HAVE PINK HAIR..



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

if your gonna color your hair pink, then tell your parents if it's okay and try to research about it, maybe it coud damage your hair. And if your still in school, I have good advice don't color your hair because a lot of schools has a rule like "don't color your hair".



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Eh, don't do it.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

DONT DO IT!!!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

DO It..Good Luck Hun :) .. .. ..



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

dont, pink is horrible!!



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

get it done professionally.



you want to look punk, not punked.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Yes, after you do it, see if you can get a job with the circus. No one else will hire you.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Do Don't



not do it. do it.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Well, the answer left by "don't hate me cuz u aint me" is pretty good. The only thing I can add is to try to have the bleached part as white as possible. If it's really yellow, the pink will come out a little orange.



Just in case you haven't decided on a brand of dye yet, Special Effects is great. And they have a few pinks to choose from. The bottom layer of my hair is still bright pink, 4 months after dyeing it "Atomic Pink".



You can see pictures at this website: http://www.amphigory.com/special_effects...



(click on the name of the color to see some pictures)



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

This is actually very much in style, I am a hairstylist and have done this a couple of times on younger clients. The question is how long do u want it to last? temporary color will wash out and maybe u should start with that just to get the idea of if u will like it. Then u can step up to a demi color which will last a little longer. Most of the time, if ur hair is darker than blonde it wont show up that well, for those I prelighten a few shades then apply color, just dont prelighten too much cuz it can stain the hair and it would be stained into the hairshaft. very hard to remove...



to get back to ur natural color after the pink phase gets old, u can apply a demi permanent color close to ur natural (always pick a shade lighter as it will go a little darker) all the new semi and demi colors now are very conditioning to the hair and do not contain peroxide, steer clear of permanent colors, they have to grow off or be lightened with bleach if u dont like the results.



Use a shampoo for colored hair, it will make the color last and be more vibrant. Make sure u use conditioner too, depending on how u style ur hair will depend on that. A good spray on leave in conditioner is good, like Healthy Hair by Sexy Hair, it has soy milk and leaves hair soft but not weighed down.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

Awesome, I think it will look pretty cool. Just watch out and use treatments to keep your colour. Real electric coloured hair like that usually fades.. so mmmhmmm. oh yeah, bleached hair is a pain... if you wanted to dye it black afterwards or something.. the bleached parts will ALWAYS show. its so annoying.. well good luck.



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

i think you should stay to the reg



blonde black red brown



but watever floats your boat



I'M GoING To CoLoR mY hAiR PiNk. AnY aDvIcE?

my advice : don't do it....that sounds like it would look hideous...

No comments:

Post a Comment